Friday, March 26, 2010

Book Review: Trout, Trout, Trout

One of my consignment pickups was a book called Trout, Trout, Trout (A Fish Chant) by April Pulley Sayre, illustrated by Trip Park. Trout, Trout, Trout is a fun book filled with different names of fish found in North America, forming a rhyming chant. I love the illustrations because they have all sorts of interesting things going on, like a paddlefish playing ping-pong and a sunfish applying suntan lotion. The kid in the book is what I imagine my son will look like in about 4 years, feet dangling in the water saying "Fish, Fish, Fish! That's what I like."

The back has information about each fish: how they are named, where they live, what they eat, and how to identify them. I'm proud to say I could have probably picked out the sockeye salmon, walleye, trout, and northern pike! This is a great book for all ages because the rhyming chant is great at Ryan's age (6 months) but as he grows older he'll appreciate the funny fish illustrations and then become interested in the "facts" about each fish.

I'd like to check out Sayre's other books, Ant, Ant, Ant! An Insect Chant, and Bird, Bird, Bird!: A Chirping Chant.

No comments: