I bought 3 bulletin boards off our local Facebook swap group and thrift store (spent a total of $8 for all 3). Some of them had some pen marks/fading, but I knew I'd be covering them anyway. I originally intended to paint the frames white and just fold and pin the fabric to the cork part, like this, but my poor spray-paint job and low-quality frames led me to just cover the entire thing with fabric like this. I think this is the easiest way to go and creates a clean, uniform look if you have more than one board.
|Three bulletin boards of various sizes.|
|Three bulletin boards covered in fabric.|
I also had a large oil-drip pan that was perhaps my first Pinterest project and I wanted to get it back up on the wall for Cohen to play magnets with. We ended up screwing it into the wall horizontally so it was good for his height. I used some leftover fabric, folded the edges under and ironed them down, then used spray-adhesive to stick it to the oil pan to cover the imprinted logo.
We had a little barn wall hanging from Adam's grandpa and I had the idea to hang it on the wall in front of a fabric-covered piece of cardboard cut in the same shape. This way the boys can take the frame down and play with it on the floor (sometimes they like to lay if flat and use it as little cow pens), but they also like to set up little farm animals in it while upright. We nailed the fabric-covered cardboard right to the wall and then placed two long nails for the barn roof to rest on.
The clock is one we had hanging in our kitchen in our last house but since I'd found some orange fabric to match, it worked perfectly in the design.
|Toy room wall.|
A few tips:
- I experimented with the layout by making shapes in Microsoft Word in proportional sizes (i.e. a 24"x18" board was a 2.4"x1.8" rectangle in Word. This allowed me to move things around and add/subtract elements from the mix. It's important to have an idea how you are going to hang things so you put the fabric on the right way (e.g. the Chevron would look funny vertical).
- After everything was finished, I taped together a bunch of sheets of thin craft paper and laid the whole thing out on the floor. Then, I marked where each frame and nailhole went. We taped the whole thing up on the wall, then put in the nails and tore the paper off last. This didn't go perfectly, but was a good starting point. We did use a leveling yardstick many time to make sure things were level and spaced well.
- I intentionally hung the bulletin boards higher than my kids can reach yo keep the pins out of reach. I also intend to have a "put one up, take one down" policy so we don't become over cluttered and to help kids learn to enjoy things for a while but be able to let it go when the time comes.
- I loved the idea of adding a wooden letter to the boards, designating one for each child, but since most of the projects are Ryan's, I'll just keep them generic for now.