Saturday, April 18, 2009

Garage Sales Galore!

I am determined not to get caught up in excessive "baby-buying" and spending way too much money on stuff the kid will never care about. Hence, I've spent the last 3 days hitting every garage sale in the area. I got some amazing deals!

First, I scored some home decor items- a black iron plate/picture holder that perfectly fills the space between my TV and closet, two silver plate/picture holders for the nursery, some fall decor for the mantel, and some snowflakes I'm planning to paint for a 4-seasons-themed room. All this for $13.70!

I hit a few sales early on Wednesday and scored some big items. I bought a Graco car seat/stroller/swing/highchair set from a friend (only some of it shown), along with an exersaucer, a brand new boppy with cover, about 6 sets of neutral sleepers, baby jeans, a blanket, and 4 burp cloths. Total cost: about $210


Shopping a sale early was also wonderful because I could try on maternity clothes and got some great summer work shirts (10?) and 2 pairs of capris. I think everything in this picture cost about $50. Not bad for the price of 2 new shirts!


On Thursday I stopped at a sale with about 10 minutes left on my lunch break. For $42, I got a white crib that is super-easy to assemble, a bathtub with a pump-shower sprayer, and a floor playmat in great condition. Not bad for 10 minutes!

The nursery is looking even more complete with this great changing table with changing pad and cover that my husband picked up for $20 (although his one caveat is the pink cover has to change in the event we have a boy).

Saturday's sales weren't nearly as successful, but I did pick up 4 onesies for $3, plus four books for a dollar. Baby books, you ask? Nope...how about 2 Gary Paulsen books (both DH and I loved The Hatchet as kids and I hadn't seen these before--I read one of them already today!) and 2 Encyclopedia Brown books. I think being pregnant has made me more nostalgic than ever and sometimes I can't pass up books I loved as a kid, fearing that by the time my kids hit 2nd grade, all the books they'll see in the Book Orders are Bratz or Hannah Montana. I want to hold on to those oldies-but-goodies! (Hence an entire bookcase and several tub in our basement filled with books for 3rd-8th graders!)

I may try to hit the famous Kingswood rummages in Sioux Falls next week, but otherwise I feel like I'm sitting pretty well with major purchases taken care of! I love a bargain!

1 comment:

Life of the Lorenzens said...

Those are some super deals! I'm jealous of the home decor items. I just started unpacking the box of boy clothes Brandi gave me and I'm thinking I can pretty much bring back everything I bought at Wal-mart and Kohl's in the last month. If you have a girl you can definitely count on that from me! :o)