Saturday, May 9, 2009

More Garage Sale Deals

A few weeks ago I made a quick trip to Sioux Falls with my mom for the opening day of the Kingswood Rummage Sales in Sioux Falls. Some of it was chaos, but overall it was worth the trip.  I found a tall bookshelf with adjustable shelves for $10 and an Aquarium bouncy seat for $25.  I think I'll be painting the bookshelf, but have to find a way to anchor it so it doesn't tip over on the Little One!

Last week I did a quick run through Boyden, but there weren't as many sales. I did pick up a Graco Pack 'N Play in navy blue/red that is in great condition (just doesn't have all the new fancy bells and whistles), but for $15, it's hard to go wrong. Here's a picture that I put up in the living room so you can see how my black iron garage sale decor works on the wall!

I also ventured into "Once Upon a Child" in Sioux Falls, a consignment baby palace! Not super-exciting, but I did get a $10 Diaper Genie and an Infant Carrier (the ones you strap around yourself so they can ride on your chest) for only $15-they were going for $45 on garage sales! There were tons of toys there, but I'm resisting the urge to stock up on that stuff just yet.

My sister provided me with a very helpful spreadsheet of all the start-up baby expenses. Comparing what I have bought vs. what she bought new (or the value of what she received as a gift), I have already saved over $500 by buying used--and she is a very thrifty spender! I have literally not bought one new thing from a store yet, but know there is plenty more "gear" to get before the Fall.

2 comments:

Life of the Lorenzens said...

Nice! I know it's exciting to get everything checked off your list and to get great deals in the process. Just be sure to leave some fun/nice stuff for a baby registry. Otherwise people will just get you tons of cute but useless clothes. And gift receipts aren't always included. ;o)

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize Sioux Falls had a "Once Upon A Child"! There is one in Fort Collins, CO as well and I love it! I buy so many clothes for my little girl there because I can't justify spending tons of money on brand new clothes for a baby that will only wear it once or twice! Have fun shopping!