Saturday, January 23, 2010

Baptism Cake

We spent the day getting ready for Ryan's baptism. I'm almost embarrassed to admit how long it's been since our house was this clean. Thank goodness I have a very helpful husband (and that the weather wasn't good for ice fishing anyway.)  We are having brunch tomorrow after the service and among the three things I made this morning, I used 22 eggs. That's a lot of crack-a-lackin'. I made a breakfast casserole and the Peaches & Cream French Toast from Simple and Delicious. Hopefully they will turn out tomorrow in my timebake-impaired oven.



Chocolate from the Cake Mix DoctorI also made a chocolate Midnight Cake from my favorite cookbook: Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor. This book has lots of recipes for layer cakes, bundt cakes, sheet cakes, cupcakes (you get the idea) and they all start with a cake mix! It also contains lots of frosting recipes and helpful tips. One tip I used today was that I placed the two layers in the freezer for about 15 minutes before frosting them and that helped cut down on the cake crumbs contaminating the white Vanilla Buttercream Frosting.

I decorated the cake using the Wilton Buttercream frosting recipe and based the design on the wrapping paper I used to cover the cake board. I have dabbled a little bit in cake decorating, teaching myself from the Wilton Decorating Cakes Book but man it takes so much time! Adam was unfortunately here to see the mess I create when I bake (I usually try to spare him) but he was a willing dishwasher anyway.

Ryan hardly slept at all yesterday and he sure made up for it by sleeping a lot today! He slept until 6:30am, ate, then went back to sleep until 10. He also took a long nap this afternoon and went down without a sound at 8 tonight. This was extremely helpful because contrary to any pictures of a helpful "baker" Ryan you may have seen recently, he is not really all that helpful with complicated recipes.

I'm just sayin'...we don't let him use the blender...yet.


1 comment:

Life of the Lorenzens said...

Amazing cake--looks like you had a good time!