Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk

Nuby 2 Handle Straw Cup, Colors May Vary, 8 OunceSince Ryan is getting pretty good at using sippy cups, I stopped by Walmart to pick up a few more styles to try so we'd have some backups for when his go-to cup was in the dishwasher or left at daycare. He definitely could not figure out the Nuby Flip N Sip since he insisted on tipping it up to drink and wouldn't suck through the straw with it right-side-up. We'll save that one for later.
My frugal voice told me to just try the $0.97 Parent's Choice plain blue sippy cup. And my frugal voice talks louder than my "Oh look, cute turtles and molded hand grips" voice, so we took that one home as well. I optimistically filled it with milk, figured out the "rabbit=it leaks when you tip it over/ turtle=you have to suck it to get the milk out" hyroglyphics on the insert, and presented it to Ryan. He dabbled with it for a while on the floor but was more interested in whacking Nika with it than drinking, so I decided to dump it out and wait for later. The "snap on" lid pretty much flew off in my face when I finally pried it off and soaked my shirt, pants, and kitchen curtains with the remainder of the moo-juice. But, silly $0.97 voice told me to give it another shot at supper.

Things seemed to go fine at first and Ryan took a few drinks.  Towards the end of the meal he started the "I throw/you pick up" game and one particularly enthusiast throw resulted in the lid of the cup flying off (ref said the ground caused the fumble, so no turnover) and the virtually full cup of milk flew EVERYWHERE.  See below.

Wait, it's kind of hard to see the milk puddles/splatters/drips in this picture, so I'll go ahead and label them for you.

Much better. 

Also notice the detachable top to his tray (the one serving as his plate and holding all his beef/vegetable roll-up) has indeed become detached and ended up on the floor shortly after the Great White Spill. At the time of the picture, Nika had done her best to destroy the evidence, but my bucket of Lysol has a good memory. I did not cry or even get angry, which is surprising because spilling milk on the floor was a cardinal sin in my house growing up. I think it was because it makes the just-cleaned floor really sticky. I avoid that problem by not having a just-cleaned floor. Some people call it poor housekeeping, but I call it planning ahead.

So, $0.97 cup may never see the light of day again and I readily ripped open the cute turtle Playtex cups the next day.

Moral of the story: Always bet on the turtle.

1 comment:

Life of the Lorenzens said...

Ah, yes--the great sippy cup debate. I tried one of the cheap Nuby ones in the big bins in the middle of the aisle at Wal-mart and threw it away after it leaked badly after one or two uses. I've pretty much stuck with Gerber so everything is interchangeable. But even that can bite you. I just threw one away today that was slightly misshapen and rocked around on the table when you set it down. Drove me nuts. I just bought a Playtex one for Emily that looks like a travel coffee mug. Many of her friends have them.

Sorry about the milk messes. Look at it as an occasional incentive to actually clean your floors. ;o)