Friday, August 26, 2011

Amazon Replaced my Broken Kindle

Wondering what a broken Kindle screen looks like? I wasn't. Not until I dug my Kindle out of my suitcase on Monday and discovered the "save" screen had these weird lines through the screen. And they didn't go away. Not when I turned it off and on (thanks for nothing, magic IT solution to all things). Not when I closed the cover and calmly placed it back on its bookshelf to give it a chance to think about whether or not it wanted to start playing nice. Not when I turned it upside down and shook it like an Etch-a-Sketch. Not even when I did a hard reset (slide power button and hold for either exactly 15 seconds or over 20 seconds, as suggested by many "broken Kindle formus").

Of all the forums and message boards I read, I spotted a glimmer of hope when someone suggested customer service might be able to help me out.  I called them at the U.S. Kindle Customer Service Number 1-866-321-8851 and after a menu or two I had a live agent. She asked for my Amazon account information, I described the problem with my screen, and she said they would replace my Kindle at no charge!! Yay!  She gave me simple instructions to check my email where a free shipping label was waiting for me to print, then when I received the new Kindle, to pack up my old one in the box and send it back with the shipping label. I was not charged anything-not even postage.  They do need a credit card number to keep on file in case you don't send the old one back.

The entire phone call was less than 5 minutes and the process was completely smooth. My new Kindle was literally on my doorstep two days later, and all the books I had purchased were accessible through the archived items. I gave them a shout-out on facebook because it's always nice to hear the good customer service stories instead of the bad (I'm talking about you, Countrywide Mortgage/Bank America).

I wanted to post this in case you or someone you know ever has the same situation where your Kindle screen breaks--make sure you call customer service before you go out and buy a new one! I'm not sure what I need to do differently to prevent another break. I had stored it in a nice case and didn't drop it or anything, but I guess I'll be careful how I pack it in a suitcase.

Thanks again, Kindle, for the great customer service! Can't wait to get back to reading! I don't think it's coincidence that I'm currently reading The Thank You Economy by Gary Vaynerchuk on my Kindle at the same time I received exactly the kind of service he promotes.

Kudos, Kindle (even though you broke)
You're Amazing, Amazon (even if you make me go broke with your irresistible free shipping threshold)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much. Your detailed account was very helpful. It was kind of you to take the time to write about your experience.

Kindle Customer Service said...

Thanks for sharing your experience. This blog post is very helpful for kindle users because many users face the same problem. I hope your post will helpful for Kindle users. I am waiting for your next helpful post in future.

thanks again!

ACE NETWORKS LLC said...

Norton Error 8504 is an error related to security which is essential to look after as security in this cyber world. This error is displayed when you install an invalid software or a corrupted file of Norton security system to your system. This can even happen when the user accesses control corruption regarding install or uninstall of software.

quickbooks won't open in windows 10 said...

QuickBooks Online is subscription only and is not a one-time purchase. QBO offers monthly and annual billing plans for QuickBooks Essentials, QuickBooks Simple Start, and QuickBooks Online Plus Plans.