Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Spokespeople

Stacy London, host of TLC's What Not To Wear, has been popping up on TV and print ads everywhere as she becomes the most multi-tasking spokesperson since Tiger Woods. Apparently she is a believable expert in all things "fashion". Borrowing from the famous "Bo Knows..." campaign, here are the things Stacy Knows:

Stacy knows...that the high heels she suggests you wear every day, even to the grocery store, are killing your feet. Therefore, she is promoting Dr. Scholl's "For Her High Heel Inserts".  Because when you spend $400 on a pair of shoes, what's another $9.99 to make the wearable for more than 30 minutes.


Stacy knows...that her studio-styled hair is impossibly shiny and unachievable by mere mortals, but her pitching of Pantene hair care products make you feel like you have a flying chance to prevent fly-aways and achieve silky, smooth, strong hair. The gray stripe is extra, though.


Stacy knows...that if your clothes don't look as fabulous as you remember in the dressing room fun-house mirror, all you need is a little more product added to your rinse cycle to make them brand new (and better fitting?) again!  This is why she wants you to use Woolite in every load. Maybe you will all laugh at me, but I've never found much use for laundry products other than a stain stick, detergent, and dryer sheets. But, I also don't believe in dry cleaning, so I think I am a little less than "expert" level when it comes to laundering.


And finally, Stacy knows...that most "fashion-forward" people would never be caught dead in Riders, or any Lee Jeans for that matter, but with the promise "they instantly slim you" and her spicy signature, even the most brand-conscious fashionista might make an exception to the no-Riders rule.




I actually do like Stacy London and at least the products she pitches somewhat make sense according to her expertise. Of course celebrities should be able to pitch more than one product at a time (Michael Jordan can wear Hanes while he is drinking Gatorade), but I have a hard time when a familiar commercial actor is all of a sudden in another commercial in a completely different role. It would be like seeing the Progressive girl in a Nair commercial. You would be like, "No, no, no, she does NOT wear short shorts, she wears white pants, an apron, and a headband! For eternity!"


That is why I have a hard time with the new "Intuit" website building service commercial. I couldn't find a picture or video link to it, but you may be familiar with the "Sweet Shop" husband and wife owners who end up building a killer website using Intuit. Somehow I just can't buy it since the husband also play "the sun" in the Jimmy Dean commercials. You just can't come back from that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

actually the progresssive girl was in a glade commercial doing yoga in someones living room....it WAS awkward

FaithHopeNLove said...

I was just on the Intuit website looking at Quickbooks 2010 upgrade, when I was distracted by the face that greeted me there. I couldn't help but wonder if that the was Jimmy Dean Sun Guy. So I googled it, and came across this page! Glad to know I am not alone! I agree...once a 'big ol sun guy', it's hard for me to take him seriously. Although, I do adore him as the sun guy, probably miscast for Intuit.