Thursday, June 3, 2010

Serendipity for Seventeen Dollars

I am attracted to garage sales like moths to a camping lantern. Show me a neon green sign with an address and an arrow and I'll be all over that like sprinkles on a donut. Lead me to your neatly swept sidewalk of sales, your borrowed tables of bargains and I will pass you the cash at your card table checkout.

Garage sales = poetry in motion

"Town" garage sales, complete with maps and corporate advertising are always nice since you can scope out the ads, ignore the ones that say "Christmas decorations, Avon, and LOTS of misc." and visit the ones that say "name brand infant boys 0-2T, barely worn".  But there is nothing sweeter than stumbling upon a surprise loner sale, especially if it has just started.

Such was my luck today! As I was leaving town after picking up Ryan, I spotted a bright sign announcing a 3-day sale that had just started 2 hours before. I dutifully followed the arrows and ended up at a terrific sale with organized clothes in the right sizes and lots of toys and books in good shape. Plus, I found out the kids in the family were selling their own books and toys to earn some money and were planning to donate some of the money. How sweet! After one of the ladies offered to hold Ryan while I finished shopping, I ended up walking away with quite a haul:

  • Big Bag of little kid K'nex set with instructions
  • 400-pc. big kid K'nex set with instructions (Adam loves K'Nex and he is bummed we'll have to wait a while to play with them with Ryan but I told him "You don't pass up K'Nex for $3 and your NEVER pass up K'Nex with instructions and its own storage tub for $3). We plan ahead in our family.
  • Playskool pop-up toy
  • 5 board books (which feature lots of puppies which make Adam want another dog but NOT HAPPENING...you heard it hear loud and clear!)
  • 1 shorts/shirt outfit
  • 1 2-pc pajama 
  • 4 shirts (3 featuring football, 1 featuring baseball. I sense a theme here.)
  • 1 polka-dot nightie (We want Ryan to explore all clothing choices....J/K! It is for my niece and now it won't be a surprise if her mom tells her, so shhh!)
  • 1 reversible book on how to tie your shoes using either the "bunny ears" method or the "rocket ship" method. Also for my niece but I might take a look at this mysterious "rocket ship method". Sounds life changing.
  • 3 baby girl hats- for a friend who just had a girl and these were just too cute to pass up!
Everything for $17! Sweet Sassy Molassy, that's serendipity if I ever saw it.

2 comments:

The Dude said...

FYI...the next "Heidi Knobloch - known from Coast to Coast like Butter on Toast - multi-family, highly organized, well merchandised garage sale will be next April/May...ask for time off now. It's better than a candy convention.

Life of the Lorenzens said...

Great finds--Emily could use another pair of pj's. So far I've only purchased one pair of shoes with laces and she's never worn them. We'll have to practice!