Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Walk to Vote

On Tuesday, Emily had gone to the polls with my mom and decided she wanted to help Aunt Abbie vote too, so Abbie volunteered to take her along to the library. Megan volunteered to mow Abbie's lawn if she took both kids with her and Abbie was all over that deal like Republican telemarketers on a list of used pickup owners. So, Abbie took Megan's 2 kids and I took my 1 on a trip to the library to vote! While Emily went inside and instructed Abbie on what she needed to do with her ballot, I stayed outside with the 2 boys since I'm registered to vote in the county where I sleep, not the county where I spend the full span of open poll hours on almost every election day.

Ryan and Lincoln were trying to sway Aunt Abbie's vote the whole way to the voting booth and even though I reminded them no electioneering is allowed within 100 feet of the polling place, they wouldn't let up on their primary trash talking.

"Chuck Norris is going to round-house-kick 
Terry Branstad back to the 80's so he can give
John Oates his moustache back."

"Oh yeah? Well the only guy who's run for 
governor of Iowa more times than Vander Plaats
is...oh yeah, Terry Branstad. Who won. Four times."

The boys were momentarily interrupted with the town's 6:00 whistle and just then Abbie returned. I guess we'll never know which boy was more convincing as Abbie said it was a "game-time decision" and it's possible a game of eenie-meenie or "quick pick one because Emily's getting antsy" may have influenced her more than the trash-talkers.
Just don't get them started on estate taxes or farm subsidies.


1 comment:

The Dude said...

I'd vote for Chuck and his virtual running mate....Walker, Texas Ranger.

A ninja is really just a failed Chuck Norris.

I got beat up by my Chuck Norris tattoo.