Sunday, August 8, 2010

Goodnight Moon: College Edition

Goodnight MoonAt the risk of alienating myself from the parenting community, I'm going to stand up and admit that I just don't "get" Goodnight Moon. Part of it is the unpredictable rhythm/rhyming pattern. I've always been more of a fan of the limerick or simple AABB poems. The other part is the illogical collection of randomness supposedly in this baby bunny's bedroom. I mean, I can make the leap that the rabbit is wearing pajamas, but how does he wear the mittens when he has no opposable thumbs?

I decided to adapt the book to another situation to see if delving into it created more of an emotional connection. It didn't. But here it is: Goodnight Moon: College Edition.

In the tiny dorm room
There was a love seat
And a homecoming crown
And a picture of--

The friends from your hometown
And there were three little packs of Easy Mac
And two sets of keys and a stack of DVDs
And a big huge TV and a blanket with sleeves

And a fork and a spoon and a bowl full of ramen
And a roommate with which you have nothing in common

Goodnight room
Goodnight moon
Goodnight friends from your hometown
Goodnight high school and homecoming crown
Goodnight packs
Goodnight Easy Macs
Goodnight keys
And goodnight DVDs
Goodnight Totinos
And goodnight Doritos
Goodnight big TV
And goodnight Snug-gie
Goodnight moon
And goodnight spoon
Goodnight microwave
Goodnight ramen
And goodnight to the roommate with nothing in common
Goodnight campus
Goodnight door
Goodnight everyone on my floor

P.S. This isn't enitrely auto-biographical. I had an amazing roommate, but not a Snuggie.

P.P.S. If you have any other suggestions of books that I should adapt to other situations, just let me know! Examples: The Berenstain Bears Go to Walmart, or Mr. Lee can Pee, can We?

No comments: