Friday, January 28, 2011

Cathedral in Cologne

I have a view of the enormous Cologne Cathedral from my hotel room. It's about a block's walk across the village square area.  Jennifer and I took a brief look-see this afternoon, but are planning to go back for a guided tour Saturday morning. I'm going to post pictures now, but may add captions and commentary as we get more information from the tour.

The impressive gothic architecture looks like it's literally touching the sky.

 Here's an idea of the scale. That's me standing in the doorway with only a small part of the cathedral in the background.

"Ornate" is a little underrated when used to describe the carvings and artwork adorning every surface of the exterior.

The inside is just as fascinating:

There are many statues and paintings inside the church:



But they can hardly touch the beauty of the stained glass windows.


Hopefully I can get a shot of it all lit up at night, but for now here's to Guten Nacht!



No comments: