Friday, January 14, 2011

Girls' Weekend Away: Friday

This weekend I took off for a weekend away.  After work on Friday, I said goodbye to Ryan and Adam and drove to my sister's. The four hour drive was dark and boring, but I was thankful the snow/ice/wind never materialized and had a great book on CD, The Glass Castle, to pass the time.  I couldn't decide what to eat and actually walked into the Algona McDonald's only to realize I absolutely didn't want to eat anything from McDonald's, so I got back in the car. Big Mistake #1. Because by about 8:15 I was totally ravenous and not looking forward to the traffic jam/minimum wage mecca of Clear Lake, so I stopped at Hardee's in the town before to give the hand-battered chicken strips another try. Big Mistake #2.  I ended up throwing them out along with the cold curly fries. When I arrived at my sister's at 10 and told her about the failed attempt(s) at fast food, she asked if I was hungry. Oh ye of little faith.  It's not like I didn't have Mint Fudge covered Oreos, Chocolate covered pretzels, a thermos of cocoa, and bag of frozen Riesen in the car to tide me over. 

We stayed up watching reruns of The Office /slash/ the inauguration of Terry Branstad /slash/ how to repair a rubber roof because my BIL had the remote and that's how he rolls. And as much as I enjoyed learning about rotting particle board, I knew I should get my sleep while I had the chance.

No comments: