Friday, January 28, 2011

Leaving, not barfing, on a jet plane

I know I've been AWOL from this blog for two weeks, but I've been so busy at work preparing for my trip to Germany and any spare second that I don't spend with my family, I'm desperately working on show choir.

Here are some highlights from the traveling portion of the trip, since Thursday & Friday became one long never-ending day and should be treated as such.
  • Prescription motion sickness patch did it's job and even though the dryness of the mouth, throat, and nose are no fun, it's better than having to ask the flight attendant for another barf bag.
  • I could not sleep on the plane, even though I had a window seat. On the l8hr.  flight to Amsterdam I read and watched the movie Grown Ups, an epidose of the Mentalist and an episode of American Pickers on the seat-back monitors.
  • I ate an authentic Dutch Saucijzbroodjes for breakfast at the Amsterdam airport.  YUM! And I did not care that it was 8am...even S'barro's was open in the food court at that hour!
  • The funniest souvenier items I saw in Amsterdam was were plush wooden shoes to wear as slippers.
  • I realized how lucky we have it at our local airports where you just walk down the jet way and into the plane. Not so everything in the world! We had to walk down steps right onto the tarmac I felt like the President walking out like that..except for the wearing a suit and tie and being one of the most powerful people in world and not focusing 100% of your energy of how to not fall down the stairs.  When loading the plane for Cologne, we had to take a freezing cold shuttle bus out to the runway.
  • After a few false starts, we figured out which DB train would take us to the HGF Main Railway Station and arrived at our hotel before 1:00.
  • We were dead tired, having been up for 24 hours already, but it was suggested that to get over jet lag, we should force ourselves to stay away, go outside and not go to bed until night time.
  • So, we did a few errands like changing currency, ordering internet, and then shopped many of the souvenir shops in the area.
  • We also took this opportunity to go into the giant Cathedral that is less than block away. More pictures on that coming up!
  • Tonight I think we're going to go eat at the Bit Burger (good meal since we never had lunch and a pig-in-the-blanket only gets you so far until you have to start substituting with goldfish crackers and Reeses PB cup unwrapped minis.)

    No comments: