Saturday, November 10, 2012

Baby Update- almost 35 weeks

Since I haven't updated since the 20-week mark and have a few more fun photos to share, I thought it was time for a baby update.

I had another ultrasound this week because they weren't able to check everything at our 20-week (like the lip/face) and just to check on the position of the baby. Although he/she wasn't cooperating a lot for some nice face shots, it was good to hear that everything was looking normal and the position is correct.  Here are the two best "face" shots we got. The bright white on the right is actually the baby's arm which he/she insisted on keeping in front of his/her face. The bright white spot on the left is the nose--you can basically only see the nose and lips and closed eyes.





Here's some FAQ's:

Q) When are you due again?
A) Monday, Dec. 17. I've been measuring exactly on and my recent ultrasound kept my due date the same.

Q) Did you find out if it's a boy or girl? 
A) No. I was really tempted, but decided to keep it a surprise.

Q) Have you picked out names?
A) We don't have anything definite although I think 2 keep rising to the top of each list, so at least it's narrowing.

Q) Can you feel the baby move?
A) All the time, but especially at night when I'm trying to go to sleep! The baby is positioned correctly and seems crunched in there, so it's unlikely to move. It's always a relief to know it is unlikely to turn breech.


Q) How's the belly?
A) According to Ryan, it's getting bigger and bigger and very fat. It does seem like an awful lot to haul around and I've gained around 30 lbs. This isn't great news, but it's about the same as my first pregnancy so far and my doctor doesn't seem concerned, so I'm not stressing. Clothes, even maternity ones, are getting awful tight and I think this is the point in the pregnancy when people start thinking that you look ready to pop. I can definitely tell a difference between pregnancies (showing more) and the baby's particular position has put more stress on my hips/pelvis/bladder so walking is already uncomfortable/painful. With regular chiropractic care, though, I've avoided sciatica this time around and trying to keep back pain under control.

Q) How are you feeling?
A) Here are a few lingering symptoms:

  • Morning Sickness: This mostly faded around 25 weeks although I still feel nauseated every once in a while and have had a few non-pregnancy related puking episodes that made up for getting rid of this symptom.
  • Heartburn: Still going strong and makes it hard to sleep at night. I'm taking daily medication and can tell when I eat trigger foods (spicy, fried, sugary, chocolate, ice cream---so pretty much everything I want to eat)
  • Swelling: I can't remember exactly when this kicked in with Ryan, but so far it's barely been an issue. Maybe it's because of the cooler weather than with his Oct. 1 date.  I still have my wedding ring on and only get swollen feet if I sit at the computer at night and don't put them up. Keeping away carpal tunnel pain would make my plan of working until my due date much more tolerable than it was last time.
  • Insomnia: I'm mostly contributing this to heartburn and baby movement keeping me from getting to sleep at a decent time, but once I'm out, I usually sleep hard and don't get up often.
  • Tiredness: I often feel fatigued during the day but still go to bed late so never really catch up on this. I feel more tired with this pregnancy but I think it's just more responsibility with parenting this time around instead of only taking care of myself.
  • Pain: Mostly just hips and pelvis. Some back and joint pain, but the "stretching" pain of the belly seems mostly over.
  • Leg cramps: Only occasionally and it's usually due to dehydration.
So, less than 6 weeks to go and we still have quite a bit to do to prepare, but it's getting closer and we're all excited!

No comments: