Saturday, February 27, 2010

Spiral Pasta & Ham Casserole

I have had a few requests for this colorful casserole recipe and since I made this for lunch today, I finally remembered to share it.


Spiral Pasta & Ham Casserole

1 pkg (16oz) tricolor rotini
1 1/2 c. cubed ham
1 can (15.74oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 1/2 c. cheddar cheese, divided
1 can (2.8 oz) french-fried onions, divided
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
1 can (10.75 oz) cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Cook pasta according to package direction and drain. In greased 9x13 baking dish combine pasta, ham, corn, 1 c. cheese, and 3/4 c. onions. In a bowl combine broth, soup, milk and seasonings. Pour over pasta and mix well.  Back uncovered at 350 for 30 min. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and onions. Bake 5 min. longer or until heated through.

My tips: I buy a Jennie-O turkey ham and cube the entire thing, then freeze it in containers to use in casseroles, omelets, etc. I also make my own chicken broth using granulated bouillon. I was out of corn so I threw in some mixed vegetables instead--you barely notice the extra veges and it adds some nutrition and more color! I also put it in two smaller pans and freeze one as it's hard for us to eat an entire 9x13 without getting sick of leftovers.

The day my grandma passed away this fall, I had made this casserole in two pans for lunch. Instead of freezing one, I brought both pans to my parents and baked them while we waited for the family to gather. This recipe, along with a few side dishes, ended up feeding 12 people and they all enjoyed some home-cooked comfort food after a week of eating out while visiting at the hospital.

No comments: