Monday, May 17, 2010

Goodnight, My Love

Since I'm using this blog to record memories and milestones as Ryan grows up, I wanted to include this sentimental song, "Goodnight, My Love" by Benny Goodman. The version below, sung by Ella Fitzgerald (lyrics start at 1:45), is what I sing to Ryan when I'm rocking him or putting him to bed. I didn't know there was a second verse until I found Shirley Temple singing it on Youtube but the fit of the lyrics are almost uncanny so I think I'll add them next time we rock. I hope Ryan grows up with a great appreciation for music, and remembers how much I love him whenever he hears this song!



GOOD NIGHT, MY LOVE
Benny Goodman
(Mack Gordon & Harry Revel)

Good night, my love, the tired old moon is descending.
Good night, my love, my moment with you now is ending.
It was so heavenly, holding you close to me.
It will be heavenly to hold you again in a dream.
The stars, above, have promised to meet us tomorrow.
Till then, my love, how dreary the new day will seem.
But for the present, dear, we'll have to part.
Sleep tight, my love, good night, my love,
Remember that you're mine, sweetheart.

Good night, my love, your mommy is kneeling beside you.
Good night, my love, to Dreamland the Sandman will guide you.
Come now, you sleepy head, close your eyes, go to bed.
My precious sleepy head, you mustn't play peek-a-boo.
Goodnight, my love, your little Dutch dolly is yawning.
Goodnight, my love, your teddy bear called it a day.
Your doggy's fast asleep, my but he's smart.
Sleep tight, my love, good night, my love,
God bless you, pleasant dreams, sweetheart.


Ok, if that was a bit too sentimental for you, I also often sing this song---albeit usually ABDC style, not Shirley Temple style. She kind of freaks me out, if you want the truth.

No comments: