Saturday, May 29, 2010

In which I write entirely too excitedly about storage bins

On Saturday Adam headed down to Omaha to help his brother and sister-in-law move, so Ryan and I had a full day of fun while Dad was gone. We took a trip to Wo-town in the morning and Ryan did great navigating Shopko, Walmart and Fareway. I used a leftover baby gift card to pick up some more storage bins to organize his outgrown clothes. (Poor kid, I use his gift cards to buy storage boxes instead of toys but our toy box can only hold so much). I can't say enough about the Sterilite bins with the handles on the BOX part that clamp the lid on from the bottom--they stack great and the lid stays ON! I'm kind of a "clamp from the bottom" evangelist and feel the need to point out to people how the lids that are supposed to just "snap" on from the top are completely worthless, especially when you're trying to jam in 7 receiving blankets you never used on top of enough 0-3 month clothes to clothe a baby for more than the 3 months the clothes might fit. I may just develop a tract about the sanity-saving powers of the Ultra Latch and pass it out in the aisles of Shopko. Also, always wait until they are 60% off at Shopko. Yes, they're the best thing since double-stick tape, but there's no need to throw away your money.

I also was excited to try the new Post-It Super Sticky Removable Label Pads which, in my opinion, are a genius idea that I thought of about 4 years ago and I'm glad to see the people at 3-M finally felt the pain of people like me who use post-its to label everything but tend to liberally apply packing tape to keep them in place. Label Pads rock my world and I ain't afraid to shout it.

2 comments:

The Dude said...

They also make nice cribs.

Life of the Lorenzens said...

I am totally with you. I won't buy anything else besides the clear Sterilite's with bottom latches. I prefer the 70-quart size for storing clothes. I currently own a total of 20 of them counting the one you have with Lincoln's 6-9 month clothes. I only buy them when they are on sale at Target. I think I once got some for $5.79. Usually they are more like $6.99 (on sale). How much do you pay at Shopko? Also, there is absolutely no shame in using baby gift cards for storage containers. It was just as much a gift to you as it was to Ryan.

I have never seen the new Post-it labels and I'm intrigued. However, I'd have to hide them really good from Emily. She can go crazy with a pad of sticky notes. (see future blog post picture)