Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hawaii: Honolua Bay

Adam's favorite snorkeling spot turned out to be Honolua Bay, just up the road from Slaughterhouse. There is a nice lookout area up top and then a few more turnouts to park further down the road.
A scenic path leads you down to the shore. This is actually private property, but the owner lets people use it from 5am-5pm and rents out snorkel gear if you need it.
The beach is very rocky, so it's not great for laying out. I actually stayed on the lookout while Adam snorkeled. I tried snorkeling a little but couldn't calm down and breathe normally and freaked out when I wasn't touching the bottom. I saw a few colorful fish, but nothing like the coral and amazing sea life Adam experienced. He even had a Hawaiian seal swim by him and encountered a giant sea turtle!
 Many snorkeling boats brought people into this protected cove, but you can just swim out to the same water from the shore without paying for the boat ride.
The water was SO clear, you could see the rocks on the bottom even from my vantage point at least 100 feet up the cliff! This is Adam swimming out further from shore.
Snorkeling was Adam's favorite part of the trip and he can't wait to see the pictures that come back from the underwater camera.

I think next time we go on a beach vacation, we'll have to make it a family affair so Adam can snorkel with my mom and Wade. Dad, Abbie, and I can just hang out on the beach!

1 comment:

Life of the Lorenzens said...

I'm pretty sure that's the bay we went snorkeling in. We were on one of the boats. I remember having a hard time getting used to the breathing, too.