Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Blizzard Baking

Last weekend was our first official blizzard of the winter.  We woke up to snow, wind, and white-out conditions on Saturday morning. This didn't stop us from venturing out in the truck to go get haircuts for the boys. This was Ryan's second trip to the professionals. My in-between hack jobs were getting ridiculous-looking. He was a little more distracted and antsy this time, but we managed to get the job done. We ended up being snowed in the rest of the day and most of the day Sunday. In my house, blizzards call for one thing: Baking!

First, I made homemade pizza dough in the bread machine for our pepperoni pizza lunch. We even used homemade pizza sauce that Adam and I made last week for calzones (or pi-zones as Adam calls them).

Next, we made this Marbled Peanut Butter Fudge Recipe. And by we I mean I convinced Adam to help me and then told him to measure the sugar and then stir it continuously for 8 minutes. Halfway through he got bored so I redirected to putting on pizza toppings. Both the fudge and pizza turned out well.  I brought some of the fudge to work on Monday and froze the rest for Christmas. Of course, I cut a generous border around the outside of the pan and kept that and any other squares that weren't perfectly square at home. I wouldn't want anyone else to see my disgraceful cutting job.
Then, I put the bread machine to work again for some homemade caramel rolls.
The chicken and rice crockpot recipe for supper was a disaster, but this Chicken and Black Bean Bake I made to have for Sunday lunch was delicious. Even Ryan loved it!


Sunday morning was spent dealing with the snow. The snowblower was not working well and kept shutting off, so we ended up scooping quite a bit by hand. And by we I mean mostly Adam but I did break out my once-a-year snowpants and boots to help a little once Ryan went down for a nap. The good news is, someone looked at our snowblower today and only charged us $20 to clean out the carburetor, make a few adjustments, and advise us on how to keep it in good order. I love small town repairs! :)

Guess how many tries it took for me to spell carburetor correctly? If you guessed five plus a quick Google search, you have too much faith in my mechanical part spelling skills.

Church was canceled and our small group ended up canceling at the last minute so we spent the rest of the day home as a family. I enjoyed being snowed in all weekend with the man and the boy I love, but if we have more blizzards, I'm going to have to look into joining a gym :). Or not.

1 comment:

Life of the Lorenzens said...

I would have done some baking, too, but I was down to about a Tbsp of sugar. I ended up cleaning/picking up toys the whole weekend. :op

Also, I just can't seem to make caramel cinnamon rolls. They never turn out looking like that. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.