Friday, March 23, 2012

Books and Movies

Reading now...
I'm in the middle of a gripping book called Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. It has made me realize that the bulk of my education about WWII focused on Europe and I was widely unaware of the Pacific theater action and the actions of the Japanese (beyond Pearl Harbor). It also gives great insight into the lives of the men who served, the missions they were given, and the planes they flew. It's especially close to me since the protagonist of the story, Louis Zamperini was a bombardier in a B-24 Liberator, the same type of plane in which my grandpa was a tail gunner. Louis' plane went down due to mechanical failure over the Pacific and he ended up in a horrific Japanese camp (hidden from the Allies, it did not adhere to international rules of how POW's were to be treated.) My grandpa's plane was shot down over Europe and he ended up in German POW camps for over a year.  In a generation that has been vastly isolated from the real horrors of war, it has given me a new appreciation for all my grandpa and his comrades did for the world.

Reading next...
I have not read The Hunger Games because I have a really hard time reading about violence, especially involving children, but I've heard some good reviews and am considering it. What do you think? Do you recommend? Anything else you can recommend? I'm doing some traveling for work in a week or so and looking for something new to put on my Kindle.

Watching now...
On Friday night, Adam and I finally watched Courageous, and though I hate movies that make me cry, I was really glad I watched this one. It was a great reminder about what is really important and how crucial it is to train up our children in the way they should go.


Watching next...
Looking for suggestions! We don't get to the theater too often but do have some gift certificates. Just haven't found anything worth getting a babysitter for lately! Most often we rent a movie for $1.20 (yes, they raised their prices) from the DVD box at ALCO. The last one we rented was Moneyball which was good, but not as good as I was expecting. Anyone have good suggestions for movies that are out on DVD? I like action, but not gratuitous violence (think Bourne trilogy, not Training Day). I like comedy, but not raunchy (think Tommy Boy, not The Hangover).

Thanks for the suggestions!

1 comment:

The Van Aartsen Adventures said...

Tower Heist was pretty good - action/comedy combined!