Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Good-bye cows!

My dad grew up on a dairy farm and after starting a career in engineering, came back to the family farm when he was 25. He's been "dairying" ever since. But, this week the milk cows from Donson's farm found a new home (at an expanding nearby dairy) and for the first time in many years, there are no more cows to milk.  This allows my dad and uncle so much more flexibility without being tied to a twice-a-day 7-days-a-week milking routine. They are going to continue to raise calves and heifers for a while and do crop-farming longer term. I did a little bit of milking (more skid-steer cleaning of the free-stall barn) growing up and am grateful for the opportunity to see my family's operation first-hand. The boys love visiting the farm and we'll take advantage of still having some calves around for a while.

My mom had the boys on the last day the cows were there, so they stopped by the farm for a visit and she sent me this picture of the boys with their grandpa and great-uncle. Here's to a new chapter!

No comments: