Thursday, October 29, 2009

Pies, Pies, Pies


My work group was assigned to bring 3-4 pies to the Harvest Auction tonight. We serve taverns, hot dogs, and pies at the supper before the auction.  My first pie was my 2nd attempt at an apple pie and I think it turned out better than last week's. Wish I could have tasted it!


For my next two pies, I made a double batch of French Silk Pie. I think it turned out pretty well-at least what  licked off the beaters tasted great! It took quite a while to make since I had burned out my stand mixer and had to mix the filling with my little hand mixer (and you have to mix for at least 3 minutes after each of 4 eggs). Here's a picture before putting on the whipped topping and then a picture of the finished pies. I "frosted" with whipped topping, then added the stars around the edges using the Pampered Chef Easy Accent Decorator. I considered attempting chocolate curls for the garnish but thought I'd get totally frustrated if it didn't work out. And if history is any indication, it was not going to work out. I also considered garnishing with some leftover Hershey bars, but...1) I don't like promoting a rival candy company (Hershey is the #1 licorice parent company) and 2) This would seriously cramp my stash for making microwave s'mores.
So, I garnished with mini chocolate chips instead.

For my last "pie", I copped out on the pie crusts and make a Cream Puff Dessert. This is one of my favorite desserts and is usually what I end of looking for at Soup & Pie suppers. Plus, it serves more people than a 9" pie and you do NOT want to run out of dessert at a church function full of Dutchmen.

I'm glad our church if fairly flexible with the whole "pie" thing. It was funny reading some facebook posts of my cousin at another Reformed church where they have to sign up for certain KINDS of pie, like "meringue/cream" or "non-apple fruit". They were also chastised with a "NO BOUGHTEN PIES" warning. haha! At our church, the head of our work group told me she buys all her pies and told me I could make Rice Krispie bars if I wanted!  I joked with my cousin, who was trying to decide on which non-apple fruit pies to make, that this is another example of legislating diversity for minority fruits.  When it comes to pies, my motto is
The more chocolate, the better!

No comments: