Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Zucchini Recipes


When my sister was here last Friday, she shared part of a gigantic zucchini with me. Here's a picture of her portion (which yielded 14 cups of grated zucchini).  I took a much smaller portion, but succeeded in making 2 loaves of bread last weekend and used up the rest today making a chocolate cake. First time I've ever worked with the vegetable, but it turned out great! I tried to use my Pampered Chef rotary grater for it and it worked out okay, but I had to cut it in such small pieces and it "juiced" more than it grated, but it still beat a hand-grater.


Zucchini Bread

2c. grated zucchini
3 eggs
1 c. oil
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 tsp. soda
1-1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 TBSP vanilla
2-1/4 c. sugar
3 c. flour
1/2 c. chocolate cips

Mix above items-all but chocolate chips. Top with chocolate chips. Grease baking pans-make 3 medium size loafs (I made in 2 pans). Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min-1hour. Test for doneness. Take out and let cool before removing from pans. Freezes well.

Zucchini Chocolate Cake

1/2 c margarine
1-3/4 c sugar
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c sour milk
4 TBSP cocoa
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
2-1/2 c flour

2 c grated zucchini
1/2 c chocolate chips

Cream margarine, sugar, oil. Add eggs, vanilla and sour milk, mix well. Add dry ingredients (sifted together). Add zucchini and 1/2 of chocolate chips. Place batter in greased 9x13. Top with remaining chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

1 comment:

Life of the Lorenzens said...

My cake turned out decent but 3 out of the 4 loaves of bread collapsed because of my stupid, psychotic oven. I think the second batch baked at only 325 degrees. ?!$%&*

I actually added 1/2 tsp. salt to the second batch of bread b/c the first tasted a little bland to me and I thought it was strange there wasn't any in the recipe. I also mixed 1/4 c. chocolate chips into the batter besides those sprinkled on top. So essentially it's like oatmeal chocolate chip cake in a loaf pan (minus the oatmeal). I froze both of those loaves so I didn't taste it, but the little chunk that fell off when wrapping it up was good. :o)