Thursday, April 26, 2012

Random Ryno-isms

 Understanding Ryan sometimes required a guide. He's picked up a few "miscues" along the way

"Dee-bee-dee-bee-dees" = DVDs
"Cee-bee-dee-bee-dee" = CD's
"lemma-lade" = lemonade
"lemma-lems" = M&Ms
"Arfur" = Arthur

Here's a few more fun facts from the past few weeks.
  • Ryan no longer uses a pacifier. He's been off it for a few weeks now and we seem to have gotten past asking for it. Adam made the change when I was in Chicago and decided it was time when his daycare provider returned some clothing items to us and returned his "my's" too, since he never used them at her house. (I didn't know he wasn't using them for naps at her house.) So, there really wasn't a reason to continue at home either.
  • Ryan has made great strides in potty-training. Although we're not quite into wearing underwear full-time, he is into the routine of using the potty right after he wakes up and will ask throughout the day, or will usually go when reminded. He just doesn't understand going before he "has to go", like before we leave to go somewhere in the car, so we're still in Pull-ups.  He has decided to be Mr. Independent though, and does not want ANY help undressing, lifting lids, wiping, flushing, hauling out the stool, turning on/off water, or pumping soap. He can pretty well manage it on his own, too! Maybe this is TMI, but I find it funny that he just starting going standing up last week without any prompting. I had told him he wasn't tall enough yet, so he showed me how he can do it standing on his tip toes.
  • Ryan's is very keyed in to whether it's light or dark outside. He doesn't think he has to go bed if it's not dark out, but if he wakes up during the night or in the morning, he checks his window and announces, "Mommy, it's not dark out anymore. Can I wake up now?"
  • Going to bed can be a major struggle some nights with crying, whaling,
  • Ryan can also be very polite. Tonight at supper he asked, "Mommy, did you make this supper for me?" I said, "yes" and he replied, "Thank-you, mommy for making supper!" He also tackled me in the backyard while playing football, threw his arms around my neck and said, "I love you, mommy." Moments like these help balance out the night before when he threw an hour-long tantrum with screaming and drooling before bed.
  • He has started to make up songs. He went to a different baby-sitter one day this week and she told me all the songs he sang her (ABC's, Twinkle Twinkle, Jesus Loves Me, B-I-B-L-E) then asked what the song was about an airplane to the tune of Itsy Bitsy Spider. We determined he was just making stuff up.
  • After Adam spent all last Saturday working on prepping the ground for his swingset, we've made little actual progress on the structure. When a neighbor stopped by this week, Ryan informed her, "It's going to be a LONG time until I can play on it."

No comments: