Monday, January 9, 2012

Forgetful

On Sunday we enjoyed dinner at my parents. Well, enjoyed was a bit relative. The food was good, and it was nice to visit with my parents, sister, BIL, grandma, and Saylor was all smiles. Ryan was the opposite of all smiles. Refusing to sit at the table or eat, crying, bossing, and spending more time in time-out than not; it was not his best showing. In fact, it was one of his worst public displays.

This came less than 24 hours after Adam and I had just discussed how hard it is to figure out how to discipline your child, especially when you're outside your own house. Do you hold firm even if others think you should give in? (I'm talking to you, Dad, who offered Ryan a cookie after he ate exactly zero bites of dinner :)) Do you let them go play when everyone else is eating to avoid a scene? We don't do that at home, but we're a little more immune to his piercing protests than others. Do you make everyone listen to him scream while in timeout or try to get him to stop crying? Anyway, we decided to just take off shortly after dinner. Ryan fell asleep on the way home and slept for 3 hours, so I think we know what part of the problem was. He's also two, so there's that rainbow of an age to consider as well.

As soon as he was transferred to bed and I started on my Hymnal Picture Frame project, I realized that in the rush to get out the door, I had left my entire purse/phone/camera/checkbook at my parents. Grrr! My mom called later and said she and my dad would drive it up later in the night. I felt really silly for forgetting my purse but my mom informed me that I was not the only one who had forgotten something that day. After my sister and her husband left with Saylor, my parents looked around and found one tiny thing had been left behind. Again.  This was the 2nd time they'd gone home and forgotten their dog, Milo! Ha Ha! I think we all know how your priorities change when you have a kid...you forget all about the dog...sometimes literally.

But something tells me Nika would have been a better dinner companion than Ryan that day.


1 comment:

Karena said...

I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who struggles with disciplining a toddler! This really is a tough age!