Sunday, January 8, 2012

Hymnal Picture Frame

Pin It
For a total cost around $5, this project was a fun addition to the music room I just painted! 

  1. Buy an unfinished 8x10 wide wood frame. I  got mine for $4.99 at Hobby Lobby after negotiating the price down since the wood didn't match up well in the corners.
  2. Pick up an old hymnal at a garage sale, from a family member, or ask if your church has any out of service. I knew my mom had a stash of these from the church I grew up in, published in the 60's and she was happy to give me two.
  3. Carefully cut pages from the hymnal using a scissors. I picked out some of my favorite classic hymns. I also cut off the leather front cover using a scissors.
  4. Remove the frame back and use Mod Podge and a sponge brush to apply glue to the back of each page, then wrap it around the frame. Be sure to start from the top of the frame so that as you layer them, the titles won't get covered up. Smooth each of them around the groove of the frame with your finger.  Apply 1-2 coats of Mod Podge to the entire frame once it is covered to seal everything in.
  5. Paint the frame back-board and let it dry. I painted it the same color as my wall so the hymnal cover would look like it was "floating". You could also try scrapbook paper, but I was afraid the weight of the hymnal cover would be too much.
  6. Glue the front cover of the hymnal to the center of the back-board. I used Super Glue but Mod Podge might work depending on the weight of the cover.
  7. Insert the backing into the frame and hang on the wall!
Here's the final project hung in my music room. I actually made two of these to hang on either side of the window. You can see how the hymnal cover complements the accent wall in my room, which is one of the reasons I choose this hymnal. It also is a great memento from my home church and these are all songs I grew up loving to sing and play.
You could modify this idea in so many ways. This room also serves as our "library" and I think a large display of classic book covers with popular passages on the frames would be cool. It could also be great in a kid's room with a collection of Dr. Seuss books, Little Golden Books, or other favorites! But for now, I love the idea that for around $10 I made two cool pieces of art that are meaningful and classy!

How else could you modify this idea? Please feel free to share in the comments!





3 comments:

Life of the Lorenzens said...

Super cool--I'm very impressed.

How do you add the "Pin it" button on an individual post?

The Van Aartsen Adventures said...

You could make a book - book shelf since it is a library too!

http://designdazzle.blogspot.com/2008/11/diy-how-to-make-invisible-shelf.html

cobo said...

Megan-
http://pinterest.com/about/goodies/
Under "About" go to "Pin it" and scroll down. You have to post first, then come back and add the Pin It button. Also, when you add the URl for the picture, just right click and choose "Copy picture URL" and paste it in. (Took a while for me to figure this out with Blogger's new picture viewing thing).